- of, in, on, or pertaining to the chest or breast; thoracic.
- worn on the breast or chest.
- proceeding from the heart or inner consciousness.
- Speech. (of a vocal quality) appearing to come from resonance in the chest; full or deep.
- of or for diseases of the lungs.
- Anatomy. a pectoral part or organ, as a pectoral muscle.
- pectoral fin.
- something worn on the breast for ornament, protection, etc., as a breastplate.
- of or relating to the chest, breast, or thoraxpectoral fins
- worn on the breast or chesta pectoral medallion
- rare heartfelt or sincere
- a pectoral organ or part, esp a muscle or fin
- a medicine or remedy for disorders of the chest or lungs
- anything worn on the chest or breast for decoration or protection
adj.1570s, “pertaining to the breast,” from Latin pectoralis “of the breast,” from pectus (genitive pectoris) “breast, chest,” from PIE root *peg- “breast.” n.early 15c., “ornament worn on the breast,” from Middle French pectoral and directly from Latin pectorale “breastplate,” noun use of neuter of adjective pectoralis (see pectoral (adj.)). As a shortened form of pectoral muscle, attested from 1758. Slang shortening pec for this is first recorded 1966. Related: Pectorals; pecs. adj.
- Relating to or situated in the breast or chest.
- Useful in relieving disorders of the chest or respiratory tract.
- A muscle of the chest, esp. the pectoralis major.
- Located in or attached to the chest, as a pectoral fin or a pectoral muscle.