- a braid of hair hanging down the back of the head.
- tobacco in a thin, twisted roll.
- a short, flexible wire used in connecting a stationary terminal with a terminal having a limited range of motion.
- a short wire connected to an electric device, as a lead or ground.
- a bunch of hair or one of two bunches on either side of the face, worn loose or plaited
- a twisted roll of tobacco
n.1680s, “tobacco in a twisted roll,” from pig (n.) + tail (n.). So called from resemblance. Meaning “braid of hair” is from 1753, when it was a fashion among soldiers and sailors. Applied variously to other objects or parts thought to resemble this in appearance.