- Carpentry. a power machine for removing the rough or excess surface from a board.
- Metalworking. a machine for cutting flat surfaces, having a cutting tool supported by an overhead frame beneath which the work slides back and forth.Compare shaper(def 2).
- Typesetting. a block of smooth, hard wood for leveling the type in a chase by tapping with a mallet.
- a machine with a cutting tool that makes repeated horizontal strokes across the surface of a workpiece: used to cut flat surfaces into metal
- a machine for planing wood, esp one in which the cutting blades are mounted on a rotating drum
- printing a flat piece of wood used to level type in a chase
- any person or thing that planes