quintile [kwin-til, -tahyl] ExamplesWord Origin noun
- Statistics. a quantile for the special case of five equal proportions.
- Astrology. a quintile aspect.
- Astrology. of or relating to the aspect of two heavenly bodies that are one fifth of the zodiac, or 72°, apart.
Origin of quintile 1600–10; Latin quīnt(us)+ (as in quartile) Examples from the Web for quintile Historical Examples of quintile
Quintile, kwin′til, n. the aspect of planets distant from each other the fifth part of the zodiac, or 72.
British Dictionary definitions for quintile quintile noun astrology
- an aspect of 72° between two heavenly bodies
- a fifth part of a distribution
Word Origin for quintile C17: from Latin quintus fifth Word Origin and History for quintile n.
1610s, originally in astrology, from Latin quintus “the fifth” (see) + -ile, from . Use in statistics dates to 1951.