- a rail line with lighter-weight equipment and roadbed than a main-line railroad.
- a railroad, especially one operating over relatively short distances.
- Also called trackway. any line or lines of rails forming a road of flanged-wheel equipment.
- Chiefly British. railroad.
- a permanent track composed of a line of parallel metal rails fixed to sleepers, for transport of passengers and goods in trains
- any track on which the wheels of a vehicle may runa cable railway
- the entire equipment, rolling stock, buildings, property, and system of tracks used in such a transport system
- the organization responsible for operating a railway network
- (modifier) of, relating to, or used on a railway or railwaysa railway engine; a railway strike