- having a rank, unpleasant, stale smell or taste, as through decomposition, especially of fats or oils: rancid butter.
- (of an odor or taste) rank, unpleasant, and stale: a rancid smell.
- offensive or nasty; disagreeable.
- (of butter, bacon, etc) having an unpleasant stale taste or smell as the result of decomposition
- (of a taste or smell) rank or sour; stale
1640s, from Latin rancidus “rank, stinking, offensive” (also source of Italian rancido, Spanish rancio), from rancere “be spoiled or rotten,” of unknown origin. German ranzig is from French rancide. Related: Rancidness.
- Having the disagreeable odor or taste of decomposing oils or fats.