- a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.
- an artist or a writer whose work is characterized by realism.
- Philosophy. an adherent of realism.
- of or relating to realism or to a person who embodies its principles or practices: the realist approach to social ills; realist paintings.
- a person who is aware of and accepts the physical universe, events, etc, as they are; pragmatist
- an artist or writer who seeks to represent the familiar or typical in real life rather than an idealized, formalized, or romantic interpretation
- philosophy a person who accepts realism
- (modifier) of, relating to, or characteristic of realism or realists in the arts, philosophy, etca realist school
c.1600, in philosophy, from real (adj.) + -ist, and cf. French réaliste. Also see realism.