- the act, process, or right of making coins.
- the categories, types, or quantity of coins issued by a nation.
- coins collectively; currency.
- the act or process of inventing words; neologizing.
- an invented or newly created word or phrase: “Ecdysiast” is a coinage of H. L. Mencken.
- anything made, invented, or fabricated.
- coins collectively
- the act of striking coins
- the currency of a country
- the act of inventing something, esp a word or phrase
- a newly invented word, phrase, usage, etc
late 14c., “currency, money,” from Old French coignage, from coignier “to coin” (see coin (n.)). Meaning “act or proces of coining money” is from early 15c.; sense “deliberate formation of a new word” is from 1690s, from a general sense of “something invented” (c.1600).