- an act of designating.
- the fact of being designated.
- something that designates; a distinctive name or title; appellation.
- nomination, appointment, or election to an office, position, etc.: His designation as treasurer has been confirmed.
- something that designates, such as a name or distinctive mark
- the act of designating or the fact of being designated
late 14c., “action of pointing out,” from Old French designacion or directly from Latin designationem (nominative designatio) “a marking out, specification,” noun of action from past participle stem of designare (see design (v.)). Meaning “descriptive name” is from 1824.