verb (used with object)
- to place in a position of strength; establish firmly or solidly: safely entrenched behind undeniable facts.
- to dig trenches for defensive purposes around (oneself, a military position, etc.).
verb (used without object)
- to encroach; trespass; infringe (usually followed by on or upon): to entrench on the domain or rights of another.
- (tr) to construct (a defensive position) by digging trenches around it
- (tr) to fix or establish firmly, esp so as to prevent removal or change
- (intr; foll by on or upon) to trespass or encroach; infringe