- the shape and size of a book as determined by the number of times the original sheet has been folded to form the leaves.Compare duodecimo, folio(def 2), octavo, quarto.
- the general physical appearance of a book, magazine, or newspaper, such as the typeface, binding, quality of paper, margins, etc.
- the organization, plan, style, or type of something: The format of the show allowed for topical and controversial gags.
- Computers. the arrangement of data for computer input or output, such as the number and size of fields in a record or the spacing and punctuation of information in a report.
verb (used with object), for·mat·ted, for·mat·ting.
- to plan or provide a format for: to format the annual telethon.
- to set the format of (input or output): Some word-processing programs format output in a variety of ways.
- to prepare (a disk) for writing and reading.
verb (used without object), for·mat·ted, for·mat·ting.
- to devise a format.
- the general appearance of a publication, including type style, paper, binding, etc
- an approximate indication of the size of a publication as determined by the number of times the original sheet of paper is folded to make a leafSee also duodecimo, quarto
- style, plan, or arrangement, as of a television programme
- the defined arrangement of data encoded in a file or for example on magnetic disk or CD-ROM, essential for the correct recording and recovery of data on different devices
- the arrangement of text on printed output or a display screen, or a coded description of such an arrangement
verb -mats, -matting or -matted (tr)
- to arrange (a book, page, etc) into a specified format
1840, via French format (18c.), ultimately from Modern Latin liber formatus “a book formed” (in such and such a way), referring to shape, size; from past participle of formare “to form” (see form (v.)).
used chiefly of computers, 1964, from format (n.). Related: Formatted; formatting.
- The arrangement of data for storage or display.
- To divide a disk into marked sectors so that it may store data.
- To determine the arrangement of data for storage or display.