verb (used with object)
- to subject to refraction.
- to determine the refractive condition of (an eye).
- to cause to undergo refraction
- to measure the refractive capabilities of (the eye, a lens, etc)
“to bend” (light, sound, heat, etc.), 1610s, back-formation from refraction, and in part from Latin refractus, past participle of refringere. Related: Refracted; refracting.
- To deflect something, especially light, from a straight path by refraction.
- To determine the refraction of an eye or a lens.