verb (used with object)
- to begin or take up again, as an acquaintance, a conversation, etc.; resume.
- to make effective for an additional period: to renew a lease.
- to restore or replenish: to renew a stock of goods.
- to make, say, or do again.
- to revive; reestablish.
- to recover (youth, strength, etc.).
- to restore to a former state; make new or as if new again.
verb (used without object)
- to begin again; recommence.
- to renew a lease, note, etc.
- to be restored to a former state; become new or as if new again.
verb (mainly tr)
- to take up again
- (also intr) to begin (an activity) again; recommenceto renew an attempt
- to restate or reaffirm (a promise, etc)
- (also intr) to make (a lease, licence, or contract) valid or effective for a further period
- to extend the period of loan of (a library book)
- to regain or recover (vigour, strength, activity, etc)
- to restore to a new or fresh condition
- to replace (an old or worn-out part or piece)
- to replenish (a supply, etc)