- the act of replacing.
- a person or thing that replaces another: summer replacements for vacationing staff; a replacement for a broken dish.
- Military. a sailor, soldier, or airman assigned to fill a vacancy in a military unit.
- Also called metasomatism. Geology. the process of practically simultaneous removal and deposition by which a new mineral grows in the body of an old one.
- the act or process of replacing
- a person or thing that replaces another
- geology the growth of a mineral within another of different chemical composition by gradual simultaneous deposition and removal
- a process of fossilization by gradual substitution of mineral matter for the original organic matterAlso called: petrification