- (of a design) raised in relief by hammering on the reverse side.
- ornamented or made in this kind of raised work.
- the art or process of producing repoussé designs.
- raised in relief, as a design on a thin piece of metal hammered through from the underside
- decorated with such designs
- a design or surface made in this way
- the technique of hammering designs in this way
“formed in relief,” in reference to a type of decorative pattern, 1852, from French repoussé, past participle of repousser “to thrust back, beat back,” from re- (see re-) + pousser (see push (v.)).