- distasteful, objectionable, or offensive: a repugnant smell.
- making opposition; averse.
- opposed or contrary, as in nature or character.
- repellent to the senses; causing aversion
- distasteful; offensive; disgusting
- contradictory; inconsistent or incompatible
late 14c., “contrary, contradictory,” from Old French repugnant “contradictory, opposing” or directly from Latin repugnantem (nominative repugnans), present participle of repugnare “to resist, fight back, oppose; disagree, be incompatible,” from re- “back” (see re-) + pugnare “to fight” (see pugnacious). Meaning “distasteful, objectionable” is from 1777.