- springing back; rebounding.
- returning to the original form or position after being bent, compressed, or stretched.
- recovering readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyant.
- (of an object or material) capable of regaining its original shape or position after bending, stretching, compression, or other deformation; elastic
- (of a person) recovering easily and quickly from shock, illness, hardship, etc; irrepressible
1640s, “springing back,” from Latin resilientem “inclined to leap or spring back,” present participle of resilire (see resilience). Figuratively, of persons, from 1830. Related: Resiliently.