- resounding or echoing, as sounds: the resonant thundering of cannons being fired.
- deep and full of resonance: a resonant voice.
- pertaining to resonance.
- producing resonance; causing amplification or sustention of sound.
- pertaining to a system in a state of resonance, especially with respect to sound.
- Phonetics. a vowel or a voiced consonant or semivowel that is neither a stop nor an affricate, as, in English, (m, ng, n, l, r, y, w).
- (of sound) resounding or re-echoing
- producing or enhancing resonance, as by sympathetic vibration
- characterized by resonance
1590s, from Latin resonantem (nominative resonans), present participle of resonare (see resonance).