noun, plural ret·i·nac·u·la [ret-n-ak-yuh-luh] /ˌrɛt nˈæk yə lə/.
- Anatomy, Zoology. any of various small structures that hook, clasp, or bind other structures to move them or hold them in place.
- Entomology. a bristle on the butterfly forewing that clasps to the frenulum of the hindwing.
noun plural -la (-lə)
- connection or retention or something that connects or retains
- zoology a small hook that joins the forewing and hind wing of a moth during flight
n. pl. ret•i•nac•u•la (-lə)
- A band or bandlike structure that holds an organ or a part in place.