- a revolution (in an engine or the like).
verb (used with object), revved, rev·ving.
- to accelerate sharply the speed of (an engine or the like) (often followed by up).
verb (used without object), revved, rev·ving.
- (of an engine) to accelerate; become revved (often followed by up).
- rev up, to increase in strength or accelerate sharply: The economy is beginning to rev up.
- revolution per minutethe engine was doing 5000 revs
verb revs, revving or revved
- (often foll by up) to increase the speed of revolution of (an engine)
1916, from earlier noun (1901), shortening of revolution, in reference to the internal combustion engine. Related: Revved; revving.