- (of an act) characterized by or of the nature of rioting or a disturbance of the peace.
- (of a person) inciting or taking part in a riot.
- given to or marked by unrestrained revelry; loose; wanton: riotous living.
- boisterous or uproarious: riotous laughter.
- hilariously funny.
- proceeding from or of the nature of riots or rioting
- inciting to riot
- characterized by wanton or lascivious revelryriotous living
- characterized by boisterous or unrestrained merrimentriotous laughter
mid-14c., “troublesome, wanton, extravagant,” from Old French riotos “argumentative, quarrelsome,” from riote (see riot (n.)). Meaning “tumultuous, turbulent” is mid-15c. Related: Riotously; riotousness.