rosaceous [roh-zey-shuh s] ExamplesWord Origin adjective
- belonging to the plant family Rosaceae.Compare rose family.
- having a corolla of five broad petals, like that of a rose.
- like a rose; roselike: rosaceous loveliness.
- rose-colored; rosy.
Avens, the English name of two rosaceous plants of the genus Geum.
In some Rosaceous plants an epicalyx is present, due to the formation of stipulary structures by the sepals.
The larvæ are not indiscriminate feeders, but prefer the foliage of certain members of the Rosaceous family of plants.
J. A. Warder
British Dictionary definitions for rosaceous rosaceous adjective
- of, relating to, or belonging to the Rosaceae, a family of flowering plants typically having white, yellow, pink, or red five-petalled flowers. The family includes the rose, strawberry, blackberry, and many fruit trees such as apple, cherry, and plum
- of the colour rose; rose-coloured; rosy
Word Origin for rosaceous C18: from Latin rosāceus composed of roses, from rosa rose 1