- of the nature of or resembling that of sugar: a powdery substance with a saccharine taste.
- containing or yielding sugar.
- very sweet to the taste; sugary: a saccharine dessert.
- cloyingly agreeable or ingratiating: a saccharine personality.
- exaggeratedly sweet or sentimental: a saccharine smile; a saccharine song of undying love.
- excessively sweet; sugarya saccharine smile
- of, relating to, of the nature of, or containing sugar or saccharin
adj.1670s, “of or like sugar,” from Medieval Latin saccharum “sugar,” from Latin saccharon “sugar,” from Greek sakkharon, from Pali sakkhara, from Sanskrit sarkara “gravel, grit” (see sugar). Metaphoric sense of “overly sweet” first recorded 1841. For the sugar substitute, see saccharin. adj.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of sugar or saccharin; sweet.