- of, relating to, or of the nature of a sacrament, especially the sacrament of the Eucharist.
- powerfully binding: a sacramental obligation.
- Roman Catholic Church. an action, as the sign of the cross, a ceremony resembling a sacrament, or a sacred object, regarded as being instituted by the church rather than by Christ and serving as a means of receiving sanctifying grace.
- of, relating to, or having the nature of a sacrament
- bound by or as if by a sacrament
- RC Church a sacrament-like ritual action, such as the sign of the cross or the use of holy water
adj.late 14c., from Old French sacramental or directly from Late Latin sacramentalis, from sacramentum (see sacrament). As a noun, “religious practice or object,” mid-15c.