- a salutation meaning “peace,” used especially in Islamic countries.
- a very low bow or obeisance, especially with the palm of the right hand placed on the forehead.
verb (used with or without object)
- to salute with a salaam.
- a Muslim form of salutation consisting of a deep bow with the right palm on the forehead
- a salutation signifying peace, used chiefly by Muslims
- to make a salaam or salute (someone) with a salaam
Muslim greeting, 1610s, from Arabic salam (also in Urdu, Persian), literally “peace” (cf. Hebrew shalom); in full, (as)salam ‘alaikum “peace be upon you,” from base of salima “he was safe” (cf. Islam, Muslim).