noun, plural sanc·ti·ties.
- holiness, saintliness, or godliness.
- sacred or hallowed character: the inviolable sanctity of the temple.
- a sacred thing.
noun plural -ties
- the condition of being sanctified; holiness
- anything regarded as sanctified or holy
- the condition of being inviolable; sacrednessthe sanctity of marriage
n.late 14c., from Old French sanctete (Modern French sainteté), from Latin sanctitatem (nominative sanctitas) “holiness, sacredness,” from sanctus “holy” (see saint (n.)). see odor of sanctity.