adjective, san·er, san·est.
- free from mental derangement; having a sound, healthy mind: a sane person.
- having or showing reason, sound judgment, or good sense: sane advice.
- sound; healthy.
- sound in mind; free from mental disturbance
- having or showing reason, good judgment, or sound sense
- obsolete healthy
adj.1721, back-formation from sanity or else from Latin sanus “sound, healthy,” in figurative or transferred use, “of sound mind, rational, sane,” also, of style, “correct;” of uncertain origin. Used earlier, of the body, with the sense of “healthy” (1620s). Related: Sanely. adj.
- Of sound mind; mentally healthy.