- the study of or preoccupation with excrement or obscenity.
- obscenity, especially words or humor referring to excrement.
- the study of fossil excrement.
- the scientific study of excrement, esp in medicine for diagnostic purposes, and in palaeontology of fossilized excrement
- obscenity or preoccupation with obscenity, esp in the form of references to excrement
n.“obscene literature,” 1876, with -logy “treatise, study” + Greek skat-, stem of skor (genitive skatos) “excrement,” from PIE *sker- “excrement, dung” (cf. Latin stercus “dung”), literally “to cut off;” see shear (v.), and cf. shit (v.). Related: Scatological (1886). n.
- The study and analysis of feces for physiological and diagnostic purposes.coprology
- An obsession with excrement or excretory functions.
- The psychiatric study of such an obsession.