verb (used with object)
- to write or draw in a sprawling, awkward manner: He scrawled his name hastily across the blackboard.
verb (used without object)
- to write awkwardly, carelessly, or illegibly.
- awkward, careless, or illegible handwriting.
- something scrawled, as a letter or a note.
- to write or draw (signs, words, etc) carelessly or hastily; scribble
- careless or scribbled writing, drawing, or marks
v.1610s, “write or draw untidily,” of uncertain origin, perhaps from Middle English scrawlen “spread out the limbs, sprawl” (early 15c.), which possibly is an alteration of sprawlen (see sprawl (v.)) or crawl (v.). Related: Scrawled; scrawling. The noun is recorded from 1690s, from the verb. Meaning “bad handwriting” is from 1710.