verb (used with object)
- to crunch, crush, or crumple.
- to contract; squeeze together: I had to scrunch my shoulders to get through the door.
verb (used without object)
- to squat or hunker (often followed by down).
- the act or sound of scrunching.
- to crumple, crush, or crunch or to be crumpled, crushed, or crunched
- the act or sound of scrunching
v.1825, “to bite,” intensive form of crunch (v.); ultimately imitative. Meaning “to squeeze” is recorded from 1835 (implied in scrunched). Related: Scrunching.