- the act of assessing; appraisal; evaluation.
- an official valuation of property for the purpose of levying a tax; an assigned value.
- an amount assessed as payable.
- an evaluation of one’s own abilities and failings
- finance a system to enable taxpayers to assess their own tax liabilities
- the act of assessing, esp (in Britain) the evaluation of a student’s achievement on a course
- an amount determined as payable
- a valuation set on taxable property, income, etc
- evaluation; estimation
n.1540s, “value of property for tax purposes,” from assess + -ment. Meaning “determination or adjustment of tax rate” is from 1540s; general sense of “estimation” is recorded from 1620s. In education jargon from 1956. The appraisal of property for the purposes of taxation.