- the act or practice of censoring.
- the office or power of a censor.
- the time during which a censor holds office.
- the inhibiting and distorting activity of the Freudian censor.
- the regulation of a group’s actions and statements by its own members rather than an external agency
- a policy or programme of censoring
- the act or system of censoring
- psychoanal the activity of the mind in regulating impulses, etc, from the unconscious so that they are modified before reaching the conscious mind
n.1590s, “office of a censor,” from censor (n.) + -ship. Meaning “action of censoring” is from 1824.