verb (used with object), de·i·fied, de·i·fy·ing.
- to make a god of; exalt to the rank of a deity; personify as a deity: to deify a beloved king.
- to adore or regard as a deity: to deify wealth.
verb -fies, -fying or -fied (tr)
- to exalt to the position of a god or personify as a god
- to accord divine honour or worship to
- to exalt in an extreme way; idealize
v.mid-14c., from Old French deifier (13c.), from Late Latin deificare, from deificus “making godlike,” from Latin deus “god” (see Zeus) + -ficare, from facere “to make, do” (see factitious). Related: Deified; deifying.