verb (used with object), i·on·ized, i·on·iz·ing.
- to separate or change into ions.
- to produce ions in.
verb (used without object), i·on·ized, i·on·iz·ing.
- to become changed into the form of ions, as by dissolving.
- to change or become changed into ions
v.1896, from ion + -ize. Related: Ionized; ionizing. v.
- To dissociate atoms or molecules into electrically charged atoms or radicals.
- To give an atom or group of atoms a net electric charge by adding or removing one or more electrons.
- To form ions in a substance. Lightning ionizes air, for example.