- of, relating to, or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols: semantic change; semantic confusion.
- of or relating to semantics.
- of or relating to meaning or arising from distinctions between the meanings of different words or symbols
- of or relating to semantics
- logic concerned with the interpretation of a formal theory, as when truth tables are given as an account of the sentential connectives
adj.1894, from French sémantique, applied by Michel Bréal (1883) to the psychology of language, from Greek semantikos “significant,” from semainein “to show by sign, signify, point out, indicate by a sign,” from sema “sign, mark, token; omen, portent; constellation; grave” (Doric sama), from PIE root *dheie- “to see, look” (cf. Sanskrit dhyati “he meditates”).