- actively engaged in some field or sport for pay but on a part-time basis: semiprofessional baseball players.
- engaged in by paid, part-time people: semiprofessional football.
- having some features of professional work but requiring less knowledge, skill, and judgment: a semiprofessional job.
- a person who is active in some field or sport for pay on a part-time basis.
- (of a person) engaged in an activity or sport part-time but for pay
- (of an activity or sport) engaged in by semiprofessional people
- of or relating to a person whose activities are professional in some respectsa semiprofessional pianist
- a semiprofessional person
adj.1824, from semi- + professional (adj.). As a noun from 1843. Related: Semi-professionally.