- a small group of students, as in a university, engaged in advanced study and original research under a member of the faculty and meeting regularly to exchange information and hold discussions.
- the gathering place of such a group.
- a meeting of such a group.
- a course or subject of study for advanced graduate students.
- any meeting for exchanging information and holding discussions.
- a small group of students meeting regularly under the guidance of a tutor, professor, etc, to exchange information, discuss theories, etc
- one such meeting or the place in which it is held
- a higher course for postgraduates
- any group or meeting for holding discussions or exchanging information
n.1887, “special group-study class for advanced students,” from German Seminar “group of students working with a professor,” from Latin seminarium “breeding ground, plant nursery” (see seminary). Sense of “meeting for discussion of a subject” first recorded 1944.