- pertaining to, inclined to, or preoccupied with the gratification of the senses or appetites; carnal; fleshly.
- lacking in moral restraints; lewd or unchaste.
- arousing or exciting the senses or appetites.
- worldly; materialistic; irreligious.
- of or relating to the senses or physical sensation; sensory.
- pertaining to the philosophical doctrine of sensationalism.
- of or relating to any of the senses or sense organs; bodily
- strongly or unduly inclined to gratification of the senses
- tending to arouse the bodily appetites, esp the sexual appetite
- of or relating to sensualism
adj.early 15c., “carnal, unspiritual;” mid-15c., “of or pertaining to the senses,” from Middle French sensuel (15c.) and directly from Late Latin sensualis “endowed with feeling” (see sensuality). Meaning “connected with gratification of the senses,” especially “lewd, unchaste” is attested from late 15c. adj.
- Relating to or affecting any of the senses or a sense organ; sensory.
- Of, relating to, given to, or providing gratification of the physical and especially the sexual appetites.