- a person who separates, withdraws, or secedes, as from an established church.
- an advocate of separation, especially ecclesiastical or political separation.
- of, relating to, or designating separatism or separatists: separatist forces; separatist tendencies.
- a person who advocates or practises secession from an organization or group
- (as modifier)a separatist movement
- (sometimes not capital) a person who advocates the secession of a province, esp Quebec, from Canada
c.1600, from separate + -ist. First used in a denominational religious sense; of political separations from 1871.