- a cardinal number, 10 plus 7.
- a symbol for this number, as 17 or XVII.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- amounting to 17 in number.
- (initial capital letter, italics) a novel (1916) by Booth Tarkington.
- the cardinal number that is the sum of ten and seven and is a prime numberSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 17, XVII, etc, representing this number
- the amount or quantity that is seven more than ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 17 units
- amounting to seventeenseventeen attempts
- (as pronoun)seventeen were sold
late Old English seofontyne; see seven + -teen. Replacing Old English form seofon-teoða. Cf. German siebzehn, a contraction of Middle High German siben-zehen.