- a person skilled in shooting, especially with a rifle.
- a rating below expert and above marksman, assigned to one who has qualified with a specific score in rifle marksmanship.
- a person who has achieved such a rating.
- an athlete noted for having accurate aim in a sport, as basketball, hockey, archery, golf, etc.
- Slang. a person who engages in short-term business dealings with the purpose of making a large, quick profit without regard to scruple.
- a spade that has a very narrow blade, used as a garden or nursery tool.
- an expert marksman, esp with a rifle
n.also sharp-shooter, 1802; see sharp (adj.) + shoot (v.). A translation of German Scharfschütze, from scharf (adj.) “sharp” + schütze “shooter,” from schießen “to shoot.” Related: Sharpshooting.