- the part of a shirt below the waistline.
- Journalism. a brief item added at the end of a related newspaper story.Compare follow-up(def 3b).
- quite young and immature in behavior.
- Chiefly Midland and Southern U.S. of distant relation, especially by marriage: some shirttail cousins I’d never met.
verb (used with object)
- Informal. to append or add (an item) to a discussion or writing: The tariff concessions were shirttailed onto the trade bill.
- the part of a shirt that extends below the waist