showroom [shoh-room, -roo m] ExamplesWord Origin See more synonyms for showroom on Thesaurus.com noun
- a room used for the display of goods or merchandise.
verb (used without object)
- to come into a store to view merchandise and then purchase it from a competitor, usually online, as to get a lower price or wider selection: For shoes, I usually showroom at a couple of stores, then buy them cheaper online.
- to be used as a place to view rather than buy merchandise: No store wants to showroom for a website.
verb (used with object)
- to display (merchandise) in a showroom.
- to enter a store and view (merchandise) before purchasing it from a competitor, usually online.
- to use or encourage people to use (a store) as a place to view rather than buy merchandise: The online retailers are showrooming us out of business. We’re being showroomed by consumers who browse our stores without buying.
Origin of showroom First recorded in 1610–20; show + room Related formsshow·room·ing, noun Related Words for showroom shop, market, showroom, emporium, chain, boutique, outlet, mill, store, stand, deli, supermarket, drugstore, room, hall, parlor, gallery, exhibit, salon, museum Examples from the Web for showroom Contemporary Examples of showroom
The American Library in the Catalonian capital is bombed, an I.B.M. showroom has a brick tossed through its front window.
August 10, 2014
They knew about it and they could have stopped it before the first car went in the showroom.
July 17, 2014
On display in the showroom were elegant women in long black pants and finely lapelled jackets and trenches.
March 5, 2014
His showroom remains in Antwerp rather than a major fashion capital like Paris or London.
March 4, 2014
Gucci sounded the opening bell of a week of runway presentations and showroom installations.
September 19, 2012
Historical Examples of showroom
“That’s all right,” Polatkin said as he led the way to the showroom.
Elkan made no reply, but walked to the centre of the showroom.
Polatkin walked across the showroom to the rack in question.
If Miss Kennedy herself did not attend to the showroom, what would she do?
“Here I am, Aaron,” Sam said, as he came fairly running from the showroom.
British Dictionary definitions for showroom showroom noun
- a room in which goods, such as cars, are on display
Word Origin and History for showroom n.