- a torn piece hanging loose from the main part, as of a garment or flag.
- a separate torn piece; shred.
- tatters, torn or ragged clothing: dressed in rags and tatters.
verb (used with object)
- to tear or wear to tatters.
verb (used without object)
- to become ragged.
- to make or become ragged or worn to shreds
- (plural) torn or ragged pieces, esp of material
- in tatters
- torn to pieces; in shreds
- destroyed or ruined
v.mid-14c., “clad in slashed garments,” from Old Norse toturr “rag,” cognate with Old English tættec, tætteca “rag, tatter,” Low German tater “tatter.” The noun is attested from c.1400.