- the manner and ability with which an artist, writer, dancer, athlete, or the like employs the technical skills of a particular art or field of endeavor.
- the body of specialized procedures and methods used in any specific field, especially in an area of applied science.
- method of performance; way of accomplishing.
- technical skill; ability to apply procedures or methods so as to effect a desired result.
- Informal. method of projecting personal charm, appeal, etc.: He has the greatest technique with customers.
- a practical method, skill, or art applied to a particular task
- proficiency in a practical or mechanical skill
- special facility; knackhe had the technique of turning everything to his advantage
n.1817, from French technique “formal practical details in artistic expression,” noun use of adj. technique “of art, technical,” from Greek tekhnikos (see techno-). n.
- The skill and procedure with which a surgical operation or experiment, for example, is carried out.