- of or relating to time.
- pertaining to or concerned with the present life or this world; worldly: temporal joys.
- enduring for a time only; temporary; transitory (opposed to eternal).
- of, relating to, or expressing time: a temporal adjective, such as recent, or a temporal adverb, such as recently.
- of or relating to the tenses of a verb.
- secular, lay, or civil, as opposed to ecclesiastical.
noun Usually temporals.
- a temporal possession, estate, or the like; temporality.
- something that is temporal; a temporal matter or affair.
- of, relating to, or situated near the temple or a temporal bone.
- any of several parts in the temporal region, especially the temporal bone.
- of or relating to time
- of or relating to secular as opposed to spiritual or religious affairsthe lords spiritual and temporal
- lasting for a relatively short time
- grammar of or relating to tense or the linguistic expression of time in generala temporal adverb
- anatomy of, relating to, or near the temple or temples
adj.mid-14c., “worldly, secular,” later “of time, terrestrial, earthly” (late 14c.), “temporary, lasting only for a time” (late 14c.), from Old French temporal, from Latin temporalis “of time, temporary,” from tempus (genitive temporis) “time, season, proper time or season,” of unknown origin. Related: Temporality. adj.
- Of, relating to, or near the temples of the skull.
- Relating to or near the bones that form the sides and part of the base of the skull.