- the act of tempting; enticement or allurement.
- something that tempts, entices, or allures.
- the fact or state of being tempted, especially to evil.
- an instance of this.
- (initial capital letter) the temptation of Christ by Satan. Matt. 4.
- the act of tempting or the state of being tempted
- a person or thing that tempts
n.early 13c., from Old French temptation (12c., Modern French tentation), from Latin temptationem (nominative temptatio), from past participle stem of temptare (see tempt).