- a projection formed on the end of a timber or the like for insertion into a mortise of the same dimensions.
verb (used with object)
- to provide with a tenon.
- to join by or as by a tenon.
- to join securely.
- a combining form meaning “tendon,” used in the formation of compound words: tenotomy.
- the projecting end of a piece of wood formed to fit into a corresponding mortise in another piece
- to form a tenon on (a piece of wood)
- to join with a tenon and mortise
n.projection inserted to make a joint, c.1400, from Middle French tenon “a tenon,” from Old French tenir “to hold” (see tenet). pref.