- a framework on which cloth in the process of manufacture is stretched so it may set or dry evenly.
- Obsolete. a tenterhook.
verb (used with object)
- to stretch (cloth) on a tenter or tenters.
verb (used without object)
- to be capable of being tentered.
- a frame on which cloth is stretched during the manufacturing process in order that it may retain its shape while drying
- a person who stretches cloth on a tenter
- (tr) to stretch (cloth) on a tenter
n.c.1300, “wooden framework for stretching cloth,” via Old French (the evolution of the ending is obscure), probably ultimately from Latin tentorium “tent made of stretched skins,” from tentus “stretched,” variant past participle of tendere “to stretch” (see tenet).