- of or relating to territory or land.
- of, pertaining to, associated with, or restricted to a particular territory or district; local.
- pertaining or belonging to the territory of a state or ruler.
- (of an animal) characterized by territoriality; defending an area against intruders, especially of the same species.
- (often initial capital letter) of or relating to a territory of the U.S.
- (initial capital letter) Military. organized on a local basis for home defense: the British Territorial Army.
- (initial capital letter) a member of the British Territorial Army.
- a soldier in a territorial army.
- of or relating to a territory or territories
- restricted to or owned by a particular territorythe Indian territorial waters
- local or regional
- pertaining to a territorial army, providing a reserve of trained men for use in emergency
- a member of a territorial army, esp the British Army’s Territorial and Volunteer Reserve
adj.1768, from Late Latin territorialis, from territorium (see territory). In reference to British regiments, from 1881. Territorial army “British home defense” is from 1908. Territorial waters is from 1841; territorial imperative “animal need to claim and defend territory” is from 1966.